This is probably because of my intrapersonal communication. Somewhere during the recruitment week, I might have given them an impression drawing the line of my kindness.We, in the debate society, used English as the medium for communication. It might have contributed to the verbal messages concluding that I am not the person they could be friends with.
During the interview with my panel, I tried hard to be as friendly as possible, hoping that their first impression on me would change. I thought of it as the most crucial part because I had a face-to-face encounter with them. It was a make-or-break for both us. They have to impress the terror interviewer to enter the club but at the same time I also have to make an effort to in one way or another erase how they see me as a person.
Towards the end of the recruitment, I realized that I had to improve on my communication skills especially on organizational and intercultural. As one of the leaders of the club, I had to establish camaraderie. But how would I be able to enforce and encourage everyone to interact if they easily get intimidated. And coming from a public high school, I'm sure that everyone comes from a very different background. It's another wall that I have to break in order to fully welcome the recruits, establish the organization and encourage everyone to work and have fun with the family.
Indeed, communication is very important. It's like playing chess, one wrong move and checkmate.
You're definitely right. Perceptions play a key role in communication. You'll find that most of the problems in communication are based on false or misguided perceptions. Many of the theories deal with the matter of perception, in one way or another.
ReplyDelete