Saturday, 16 July 2011

"Social Smoking"


Everything is socially constructed. You are socialized in society. You learn the values that come along with it as you grow up.
-Professor Jayeel Cornellio, Introduction to Sociology and Anthropology 21

Both my grandmother and my dad, who I used to grow up with, smoke. Yet, as I grew older, they taught me not to because it is bad; it even says “WARNING: Smoking is dangerous to your health” in the cigarette packs. Years have gone by; they both got sick because of smoking. According to my dad’s doctor, a puss was starting to build-up in his throat while smoking was one of the reasons why my grandmother is having health complications.

This is my uber cool grandma who allowed us to take a picture of her while "drinking" a year ago. 

 Since elementary, I’ve learned how to socialize with people. In grade five, I have been elected as grade-level representative having no knowledge that I actually won the elections; I only knew about it when I was called to the stage and mentioned as the grade-level representative. After which, I’ve worked with fellow students and faculty members to accomplish projects for the betterment of the school and my constituents.

In high school, I’ve been very active in co-curricular activities. Interact Club of Metro Sorsogon sponsored by the Rotary Club of Metro Sorsogon was one of my many organizations which helped me socialize with people and opened my eyes to the reality our community is facing. General Assemblies, Social Nights, Parties, Induction Nights, Seminars name it; I’ve been there and worked with different kinds of people from chain smokers, heavy drinkers, corporate people and many more. Yet they are way too different when they go to these events than the way they actually behave in daily lives.

 With the Rotaract Club of Metro Sorsogon and Interact Club of Metro Sorsogon Officers during the induction ceremony.

From left to right. Rotaract officer, Mark Jamisola (President), Jocelle Mutia (Vice-President), Lovella Borbe (Secretary) and Robert Labalan (Finance Officer).

When I got here in Manila where smog is almost everywhere, I blamed smokers because of it. I even rejoiced when I heard that smoking pockets in Ateneo where shut down. During my whole stay in Ateneo, I met and socialized with various peers from my real block mates to En-Lit block mates.
With my lovely block, Block R ♥.

With my English-Literature block mates and Dr. Carol Nuñez, Sem1, 1st year.
There seems to be one night which I consider to be the turning point of my life in the issue of smoking and socializing. We ate dinner as a block somewhere in Katipunan then decided to go to one of our block mate’s house to drink. We played a drinking game called circle of death and it seemed that all the shot glasses were aimed at me. An hour or two passed and I finished one long-neck Matador bottle all to myself; thanks to my block mates who planned it all along and I just knew about it the day after. On the same night, I was so drunk yet I still managed to go the front porch and noticed two of my block mates smoking. I went there without planning to even try smoking yet one of them offered and said “Here, try this.” I don’t know what the devil was on my mind and without hesitation, I tried. And they said my first puff was wrong, “You’re faking it.” They told me told me to inhale ‘til the smoke gets into my throat and expel it out after. I did it. The feeling was different; it was soothing and I felt relieved.  

The days after, the line I drew from smoking slowly got blurry because of socializing. For me, it’s okay to smoke as long as you do it not because your body wants it rather because in a way, it helps you in dealing with people. Besides in the corporate world, I’d be having deals with some smokers and smoking with them will help in sealing the deal. “Pakisama” as they call it.  

In Comm 11, we tackled cognitive dissonance theory which in a way explains why we still tend to do something even if we know its risks. I compromised the risks of smoking and in a way, my health (which I think will have minimal and curable drawbacks), to socialize with more people.

Yes, I am one of those people who are aware that smoking is bad for the health yet I do it rarely. Besides, smoking one or two cigarettes won’t hurt. :P
One of the many ways to tell people to stop smoking. :)


DISCLAIMER: I rarely smoke.

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried smoking. But no offense to those who smoke or tried smoking. I know that sometimes we are forced into things we don't want to do. But this is what dissonance is all about isn't it. The theory also states that we tend to reduce any dissonance we feel. My idea is that what if saying that "for social purposes" is one of our ways to cover up the dissonance we feel. Maybe we select that belief to be true so we don't feel any tension. Just an opinion though :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The health issue of smoking isn't new in our family, since my grandmother died of lung cancer. I could recall from my childhood that my dad also used to smoke, but he promised himself to quit on the day of my grandmother's funeral.

    In my case, I'm very certain that I won't encounter dissonance when it comes to smoking, because I'm firmly against it. But this doesn't mean that I judge people who do smoke. I believe we have our own choices, and we are free to exercise these as long as we remain considerate to those around us.

    ReplyDelete