Saturday, 10 September 2011

"Beyond Ideas"

In freshman year, I joined various organizations--those that I like, those that I was invited to join and those that I think are necessary as a SOM student. One of the many organizations I joined was the Association for Communications Technology Management, ACTM in short. The primary reason why I joined it is because it is my home organization and there will definitely be perks in joining my home organization.

Come sophomore year, I realized that it would be such a waste of time for me to just keep on joining organizations without really taking part in its implementation and projects. So, I decided to apply as the project head of one of the projects. Luckily, my application was accepted. Of course, after it was accepted, we had our planning seminar."Buti nalang nag apply ako...", I told myself. For without applying, I wouldn't know the heart of being an ACTM member. I wouldn't know the rationale why the group established a home organization.

As course mates, we share the same culture. We share the same world of being tech-savvy. And this little world we share is the reason why this organization has been established. Since the members already have a common ground it is way easier to form the members. This unknown culture gave way to establishing the organization and strengthening the bond between the course mates and the members themselves.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mark,

    I noticed that you're an active and devoted member of Actm.It's really a good decision for you to apply as a project head which gave you more access to the org.You have reinforced the idea that communication is important so you can understand different cultures and form good relationships.By communicating to the other members,camaraderie will be strengthened and uncertainty will be reduced.This will give me more inspiration to be more active not only in my home org (aCTM) but also in my other orgs as well.

    MIgi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go ACTM!!!!

    I admit that during our first year I wasn't sure what our home org was doing or what its goals were. But now that I too have become an active member of the org that our goals and projects have become much clearer. Being in an org also gives us a starting common ground just like you said that we further share something in common with our fellow course mates registered in the org.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark, I myself was an active member of my former home org, MISA:) It's amazing to know that at your sophomore year you've already been a project head!:) I myself am still active in my former home org but I was shy to apply for a Project Director(PD) position so the experience of often being Programs Head in projects in MISA, i brought with me to ACTM that I'm proud to say I'm one of the HR Deputies now for my current home org:)

    Being Active in organizations really give you a jumpstart to the working field and can also hype up your resume!:) Being an idle member really doesn't do anyone any good. In fact, these organizations in school should give us an opportunity to make friends, work well and share the organization's culture:)
    Keep up the good work,Mark and stay active in ACTM:D -Dainz Co ; COM 11 C

    ReplyDelete